for a clear friendly advise : call the Italia-Australia Association

Italians have very close ties with Australians. 
Italians would welcome Australians to visit and settle in one of  the many magnificent regions but since Italy is a member of the European Union  there are entry formalities and other regulations and customs  that every Australian including those of Italian origin need to know about . 
  The decision about how and where you settle in Italy  is vital.  

  The Italia-Australia Association has outlined below some of the rules regarding entry visa,  declining any  responsibility  and  recommending to seek  professional  advise to move with confidence.

Working Holiday Visa                      JOB SITUATION                            

Tourist Visa

This type of visa allows entry, always and only for a short visit (up to 90 days) to travel for reasons of tourism.

Australian passport holders do not require visa, for staying in Italy as tourist, up to 90 days


All tourists are required to register with the Foreigners Bureau of the nearest Police Station (Questura or Commissariato) within eight days of their arrival to receive a permit of stay (Permesso di Soggiorno). This permit can be renewed by the Questura.   The tourists staying in hotels need not to apply, as the procedure is carried out directly by hotel personnel. 


Business (short visit)  

This type of visa allows entry, for the purpose of a short visit (up to 90 days) or of several short visits in subsequent half years (C1 visas, etc.) to foreigners who intend to travel for economic and commercial reasons, including for the purpose of concluding contracts or negotiations, as well as that of learning how to use or verifying the functioning of capital goods that have been purchased/sold or are to be purchased/sold within the framework of commercial and/or industrial co-operation contracts.

To this end, the applicant shall be required to exhibit adequate guarantees complete with supporting documents regarding:

1. his or her status as an "economic and commercial operator";

2. the effective economic and commercial purpose of the trip.

Business visas can also be granted to  accompanying persons accompanying for work reasons (associates, assistants, secretaries, etc.), but only when the professional status of the escorts has been carefully checked and on condition that the applicant ensures and guarantees their means of support.  


Employment visa                                                         

It is possible for a foreign citizen to be employed in Italy. The following procedures need to be fulfilled prior to leaving Australia.  

A prospective employer in Italy must lodge an application for employment on behalf of the worker at the relevant Employment Office in the Province in which the applicant will be working.

The Provincial Employment Office, having determined that there are no Italian workers available or none who is prepared to fill the same position, may issue a Work Permit. This is to be taken by the prospective employer to the local central police station (Questura) for the necessary final approval.

The employer should then subsequently send the Work Permit by air mail to the prospective worker. He or she should then present the document together with the passport to the nearest Italian Consulate to obtain a work visa.

For domestic work, the applicant shall also be required to exhibit a "health certificate" attesting that he/she is of healthy constitution and free from infectious diseases, issued by the health authority of his/her country, or in its absence, by the Mission's physician.

Visas for work carried out for firms operating in Italy (Italian, joint venture, foreign, multinational, or branches of companies based abroad) and remunerated by a firm based abroad, must be treated according to the authorisation procedure applied for employment as a dependent, even if the foreigners has erroneously presented a visa application for self-employment. However, in the case of managerial or specialist staff ("key staff"), the authorisation will be processed by the competent "Provincial Labour Department - Labour Policies Service" in real time, without carrying out any preliminary verification to check that such workers are unavailable in the national labour market. Where the foreigner family members wish to accompany him/her to Italy, and as an alternative to the ordinary procedure relative to "close family joining" visas, they may obtain visas for "family reasons" in their capacity as escorts, provided they satisfy the necessary conditions).


Self-Employment (short or long visit)  

This type of visa allows entry, for a short (up to 90 days) or fixed-term long visit (up to a maximum of 365 days) or open-term long visit (on the basis of 99 days according to internal convention), to foreigners who intend to exercise a professional activity (including that of an artistic nature) on an independent basis.

Visas for self-employment can also be granted (though only for a short visit) to accompanying persons  for work reasons (associates, assistants, secretaries, etc.) and only after checks have been made with regard to the professional status of the escorts and provided that the applicant  ensures or guarantees their support.

Visa applications for "employment as a dependent" shall be processed by the Mission only if :

1. intending to carry out any kind of activity which they declare to be "independent", on behalf of a company or organisation operating in Italy,

2. intending to exercise a "freelance" profession or to set up their own manufacturing enterprise or commercial or handicraft activity, an appropriate document is submitted attesting to the prior fulfilment of the requirements prescribed by Italian  laws for the exercise of such professions or activities in Italy.

3. in the case of a company, the foreigner exhibits appropriate documentation attesting his/her position as Chairman, member of the Board of Directors, Auditor or Managing Director.

The issue of visas for self-employed artistic work is also subject to similar requirements and conditions, on the basis of a specific work contract for a given artistic and cultural event or for a series of such events.  

Study visa

Australians wishing to follow an extended course of study are also required to apply for their entry visa from the nearest Italian Consulate PRIOR to their departure from Australia. Documentation from the school or institute in which they intend to enroll must be presented to the Consulate. The visa is renewable in Italy.

On arrival in Italy approved students are required to register with the Foreigners Bureau (Ufficio degli Stranieri) of the Questura, within eight days of their arrival. This will enable the Ufficio degli Stranieri to issue the student with their "Permesso di Soggiorno". An entry visa issued in Australia without the Permesso di Soggiorno is incomplete.  

Medical Treatment (short or long visits)

This type of visa allows entry, for a short visit (up to 90 days) or fixed-term long visit (up to a maximum of 365 days) to foreigners who need to seek medical treatment in Italy in public or private health institutions and who are able to do so and to support themselves with their own means or are covered by reliable public or private economic guaranties. To this end, the applicant shall be required to exhibit:

1. a medical certificate stating the reasons for which he or she needs to seek medical treatment in Italy;

2. a statement from the chosen Italian health facility confirming its willingness to admit the foreigner and indicating the type, starting date and presumed duration of the treatment;

3. documents attesting the foreigner is in possession of adequate autonomous financial means for the presumed duration and cost of the medical treatment required, or an insurance policy with sufficient maximum insurable sums, taken out with an Italian or foreign personal insurance company (of which the Mission shall certify the validity in Italy), covering the costs of the specific case;

4. documents attesting the availability in Italy of room and board for any escort for the period of convalescence of the person involved. Visas for medical treatment can also be issued to any specialised staff accompanying or assisting the invalid foreigner.  

Residence (long visit)

This type of visa allows entry into Italy, for an open-term long visit (on the basis of 99 days according to internal convention), to foreigners who intend to take up residence in Italy and who are able to do so, and to support themselves autonomously, without having to rely on employment in Italy, whether it is as a dependent employee or as a self-employed worker. To this end, the applicant shall be required to exhibit adequate guarantees, complete with supporting documents, regarding his or her economic status and autonomous financial means. If the foreigner's cohabiting spouse also applies for a residence visa, that visa may be granted only if the same reasons are given and where he or she, considered individually, also fulfils the requirements with regard to adequate economic status and autonomous financial means. Otherwise, the spouse may be granted a visa for "family reasons", provided he or she satisfies the necessary conditions. In no case is it possible to grant a residence visa to foreign minors. The only type of visa that may be granted to minor children (and that with the prior consent of both parents exercising parental authority) or to any dependant parents of the residence visa holder are visas for "family reasons", provided they satisfy the necessary conditions. Residence visas do not entitle the holder to work.  


Health care Agreement  

As a result of the reciprocal Health Care Agreement, Australian citizens visiting Italy are entitled to Italian national health care for necessary or urgent treatment arising during their stay in Italy (maximum 6 months).

Health care under the reciprocal Agreement does not include:

hospital accommodation/treatment as a private patient;

items such as glasses, contact lenses, dental work, etc.;

medical evaluation by private doctors

To be eligible for treatment under the Agreement people is requested current Australian passport or a current passport from another country clearly indicating your resident status in Australia and your Medicare card .

Doctor's certificate should indicate that the medicine is for the personal use due to...(duly translated in Italian).

Supply of routine medication is not covered by the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.

For emergencies: you are required to go to the nearest Local Health Center (Azienda Sanitaria Locale - A.S.L.) or to the Public Hospital (Pronto Soccorso).

A.S.L . addresses can be found in the white pages.

Payment of "tickets" is required for diagnostics treatment and tests.



Please note that the range of information provided could change at any time. While every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this service, please be aware that the information provided in items originating from external sources could be incomplete and/or partially incorrect.
Query letters and full submission of any topic related to the focus of this service are encouraged. Communications and submissions should be made, preferably by email, to the Italia-Australia Association :